A Bit of Money

May 12, 2010

When a bit of money came my way from the settling of my dad’s estate, I really puzzled over how to best use the sum. It wasn’t an inheritance that would make a huge ripple in my life, and yet I didn’t want it to get swallowed up in property taxes or car repairs. I wanted to apply it in a way that I could mark.

I needed good winter boots, so I bought two pair–one pair for New Hampshire quantities of snow, and one pair for work.

I wanted to improve some basic day-to-day things for my family. We had been living with a $50 used refrigerator for eleven years. It didn’t really matter to us, since we believe in using things until they’re used up, but it looked pretty rusty and sad, and it was probably not very energy inefficient. So I bought a new fridge, and got rid of the ancient and scary microwave and bought a new small one.

Since finances had been pretty strained for my self-employed husband, I busted us out of our siege mentality mindset by purchasing tickets for a trip to Austin during South by Southwest to celebrate his fiftieth birthday and our thirtieth anniversary.

All these purchases were about taking care of my family and myself. The final  purchase being on the day I had long-needed braces put on my middle-aged teeth.

A nice thing… giving thought to taking care, and watching the effect of small ripples.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “A Bit of Money”

1. It’s funny how the reality differs from the fantasy.

I love the care you took in your considerations. But I equally love that you spent it, and didn’t let it get eroded by bills and life.

I think you honoured your Dad in your care.

2. Gary Spykman said

Wise choices, all, especially the braces.

And your writing… you could make a grocery list read like literature. I am so glad you are writing these, we must get the word out.

3. Mary-Ellen said

Each choice a demonstration of love for yourself and your family. I bet your dad is very proud of your choices.

4. Janie said

I have a friend who says there is nothing you can’t solve if you just throw a little money at it. When the money isn’t there, most do get into a siege mentality, but when it comes your way, it is good to use it to bring happiness to you and your family. And it does have ripple effects.

5. Samantha said

I like how you took the time to choose things that would be special for you and your family. I’m really happy that you got yourself boots. I love my boots.

6. kenhoney said

Sounds like a little money went a long way. And that you found ways to use it that made it go even further: warm feet, cold milk, straight teeth, nice memories.

7. Cynthia Cimino said

I do like the idea of little thoughts, like chocolates, or tiny tictacs. you put one in your mouth and they do wondrous things in your mouth for a few seconds. except this is the brain and I figure if it lights up my brain, then maybe it’s lighting me up and that is a good thing because at my age, this old me of mine needs frequent ignition.

I’m glad you got boots (yes) and a frig and braces. I’m glad you’re writing. and I’m real glad to be reading.

8. Dale said

Good choices–infrastructure (fridge, boots, and braces) and something with which to celebrate and renew. Investments all, but in high-yield funds.

9. Laura said

I love the choices you made – particularly your trip!

It was an important sum to spend right; I’ll always regret what we did with Justin’s dad’s small bequest. (Bills and unneeded nursery furniture.) And you can’t get it back. Your choices were a great mix of fun, and practical, things for you and things for others.

10. mattpaw said