Finding Something Funny

May 28, 2010

I still remember the first time I got a table of people to laugh. I think I was twelve. I don’t remember what I said, but it was probably just inappropriate enough to be delightful without being totally offensive. In that moment, surrounded by laughter that I had induced, I felt the world turn and smile at me for a moment. I had acquired a new super power that would prove to be key to my survival to this day.

Without laughter a child’s cancer would have been spelled with a big “C.” Without laughter, the death of my parents wouldn’t have included the silly stories. Without laughter, even today, a walk with a friend could have been silent. Instead, we heard our chortles ripple across the pond and echo all around us.

A nice thing… there’s always something funny about being a human on this planet.

Advertisements

7 Responses to “Finding Something Funny”

1. Julie said

I don’t remember the moment it happened for me either – but it’s a nice thing it did. I could do without peeing my pants though.

2. Annie said

laughing changes everything — i’m convinced it can save your life 🙂

3. Janie said

That’s why I need my peeps. I can only laugh at myself for so long before the men in the white coats start to follow me in the van.

4. I always felt the joke would be about me, so I used to make it about me, myself. I still do. But the difference is that like you, I now think of it as a little super power…and not a defeat.

5. Michelle said

I could not have survived my own humanity without laughter. I was more of a goof than a joker, but that worked for me. My girlfriends all enjoy dark humor, it’s how we sail through this life together, laughing at our collective demons along the way.

6. mattpaw said

I wish to hell I had a sense of humor so’s I would know what y’all are talking about. That being said, I’ve read that people with Asperger’s don’t get irony. They understand it when it’s explained to them, but it still doesn’t tickle their funny bone – if they even have one. To me that’s one of the saddest prospects imaginable. I would rather die laffing than die wondering what the hell was so funny.

7. mattpaw said

I meant to say, “…than live wondering what was so funny.”